Sri Lanka - My One and Only Travel Story Continued

By 10:36:00 AM , , , , , ,

For my 30th birthday, I decided I wanted to visit Tanzania, Africa. It was the perfect trip! I had just conquered a world wonder in Cusco, Peru by climbing Machu Picchu, so I was ready to visit another one in Kilimanjaro. I also had visited Africa previously when I went to Marrakech, Morocco, and was a bit disappointed that there wasn’t a real safari I could do there. Tanzania contained the most famous safari of all time, the Serengeti. You know the place the Lion King is based off of. There was also beautiful beaches and tons of cultural activities I could spend my time exploring. It was the perfect trip... until I researched the cost surrounding all the activities I wanted to do and realized I may have a problem. As if God himself recognized my concerns, a deal popped up for South East Asia. I had to decide right away if I was willing to put my Tanzania dreams on hold. Deals never last long. I ended up choosing South East Asia because the price was unbeatable. I would be flying into Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and flying out of Bangkok, Thailand for only $270 round trip. It was an open ended deal which meant I would have to find my own way from Malaysia to Thailand. As I was researching flights between the two countries I noticed how close India was. I immediately became excited at the possibility of completing my Eat Pray Love tour sooner than expected. However I just couldn’t narrow down affordable flight options. And then there was a warning about the pollution in New Delhi. Supposedly it was so bad a few travelers were wearing face masks. I just thought that India was becoming less and less ideal. So I eventually scrapped the idea but on the same map of South East Asia hid a small island right below India. Sri Lanka. Little India. And as luck would have it, they were waiting for me.

One of my friends asked me why I keep campaigning to make that little phrase Sri Lanka’s slogan and the truth is that’s immediately how I felt; welcomed with open arms like I belonged. Sri Lanka has actually been on my list of places I wanted to visit for quite some time. I really had just forgotten all about it. In addition, other cities in South East Asia eventually drew more of my attention like Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. However as I continued to research all three places, Sri Lanka just stood out. I soon realized all the things I wanted to do in Tanzania, I would be able to do on a smaller but more cost effective scale in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka has a world wonder in Sigiriya. It has several national parks for one to go on safaris. It was an island so a lack of beautiful beaches was not going to be a problem. But Sri Lanka offered SO much more. So I reduced the amount of time I planned to spend in Kuala Lumpur and Bangkok to just a day each. I figured I could always return if I liked what I saw. I couldn’t have made a wiser choice because as much as I was able to accomplish in 6 days in Sri Lanka, I never wanted to leave.

Prior to my arrival I asked my Airbnb host in Colombo, Sri Lanka’s capital city, for any recommendations they might have for a driver / guide that was trust worthy. I was traveling solo and that was a real concern for me. Who they ended up recommending would leave me indebted to them forever. Sanju could easily pass for my Indian coworker’s brother. However, don’t tell a Sri Lankan they resemble or sound like someone from India. They take great pride in being from their unique little island. Sanju immediately explained to me the differences in their facial structure and dialect. He said it was easy for him to spot the difference. It’s believed that at one point India was connected to the small island but rising sea levels over time allowed for the land to be completely surrounded by water. Little India is where I would end up finishing my Eat Pray Love tour. It was unexpected. It wasn’t exactly ideal but I was content with it. Oh yeah. Sanju was supposed to be just my driver / guide. He ended up meaning much more to me. The story is about to become super cliché so don’t judge me. No seriously, promise right now that you won’t judge.

My trip began way prior to me actually touching down in Colombo. Sanju and I had been conversing over email planning my visit for quite some time. I wanted to trust that after viewing the itinerary I had prepared he had the best idea of how to plan out everything but I did find it annoying when he changed a few things or told me what activities couldn’t work within my time frame or just logically because of the highways and roads and what not. I borderline fired him a few times in my mind. Never thinking that a guide / driver who lives there would truly know best. I can be stubborn that way. Let’s just say he had a big question mark next to his name before I arrived. I didn’t think I would like him. But when we finally met for the first time, I will be honest; the only thing I was disappointed about was that he wasn’t as cute as my Airbnb host. Sue me, I’m a single woman so I definitely look and I most definitely notice attractive men. Sanju however was the most adorable man. He offered me water, asked me if I preferred the front or back seat, and asked me if there was anything else I needed. He impressed me and I’m not always so easily impressed. I’m use to uber drivers who can go above and beyond for a good rating but with Sanju somehow I was able to immediately feel the difference which left me at ease. Truth be told I was a bit nervous. Although I had a fantastic driver / guide during my stay in Bali with Wayan, I didn’t think my luck could strike twice. However, like always, Sri Lanka proved to be the exception.

It was a long drive from Colombo to Sigiriya. According to Ravi, another guide Sanju hired for me, Sigiriya, a city and the name of a giant natural rock, is protected by UNECO. It’s been dubbed the 8th world wonder. I know, I also thought that list stopped at like 7 or something. However once you visit, you can easily see why this world site is so special. Nicknamed “Lions Rock” after the lion’s body that was carved by early settlers, the rock is 600ft high with 1200 steps. And I climbed all of them to the very top. Now I won’t pretend like other bloggers claimed and tell you that it was easy. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my entire life. It physically left me empty. I wasn’t sure if my bodily organs were still intact. I fired both my guides in my head and hired them both back on the climb down. The climb down was also exasperating. It didn’t help that I was overweight, out of shape and not remotely use to having the sunbeam down on me like a ball of molted lava. They took their time with me allowing me to stop as much as I needed to. Offering words or encouragement and taunting me when necessary. “That man with a walker is coming back down, you can do this.” “That old lady is beating you to the top. Let’s keep going”. They held my hand up difficult steps and provided me with as much water as I needed. As much as I wanted to hate them, they basically were my fairy Godmothers. Though Sanju hired a guide who he said had more knowledge on the history of the rock, I found that Sanju himself offered his own insight and that made the climb much more enjoyable. I also suspect he wanted to stop and allow me several moments to catch my breath. I quit at the Lions feet. Probably about 200+ more steps to go but I gave up. They let me rest. I thought I was done. After returning from taking pictures with the Lions feet, they convinced me the view at the very top of the rock was worth it. And when I thought it through, I had been through the worse, why not finish? And so I did.


After my triumphant climb, I was happy to relax as Sanju drove to Polonnaruwa. I imagine I slept and snored all the way there. Although I had been in Asia a full 72 hours now, (brief layover in Japan included), each country I had visited so far had a completely different time zone. I welcomed being able to nap and that was the perk of hiring a driver who doubles as your guide. Polonnaruwa is a historic province with tons of ancient ruins. Most destroyed by what I assumed was colonial occupation but Sri Lanka’s own struggles with multiple civil wars throughout the centuries were just as responsible. I love learning about the history of the cities or countries I visit. I find it helps you appreciate your time in their home better. It helps shape your world view. To be completely honest, westerners have a construed view of places like Sri Lanka. It’s not necessarily negative but it’s definitely not completely accurate either. Sanju hired another guide, Mallawa, to give me a tour of the more famous and significant sites in Polonnaruwa. I must have looked like a kid in a candy store because in spite of his strong accent, I was captivated and mesmerized by all of the tall tales and true stories of the Sri Lankan people. I know the guide got a kick out of how many times I asked if he was telling the truth. The stories were that wild and very entertaining. On the ride to my hotel for the night, I made sure to ask Sanju what was true and what were just stories as I recapped everything I learned. It was as if I had known him my entire life and we were besties catching up on our day. I’m glad he never paused me to say anything like, “Amanda, I’ve heard all these stories before.” Or “I was basically with you the entire time.” Nope... he let me be as redundant as possible. And that’s something I enjoyed throughout the entire trip, our talks as we drove between each excursion or city. Driving through each city or town was a tour in itself. He would point out what made it popular amongst tourist and what made it special to Sri Lankan people. If I came across something I found unique he would slow down and allow me time to take pictures. The next day was the most expensive part of my trip. It was worth it though and I have Sanju to thank for convincing me to go through with it.


Check back in a few days as the story continues.... I know. It's long.

You Might Also Like

0 comments